So I’ve noticed on /r/OneGameAMonth quite a few people have been posting progress updates so I figured I should get on that. I’m not going to give any video updates as I a) find 25 minutes of some guy talking about code incredibly boring and b) my game doesn’t have very exciting gameplay or graphics to show off unlike others.
When I first decided to seriously do this I created a GitHub repo for ideas I had. I had loads of ideas when I first read about 1GAM, then completely forgot them over Christmas. I came up with an idea for an RTS type game, got really super excited about doing it, then decided that actually I should probably start with something simpler if I want to get anything finished. So I spent most of the next two days looking online for ideas, coming up completely empty. I was thinking a puzzle game like Bejewelled or Frozen Bubble, but those are very clichéd, and I wanted to do something different. Then I saw a video of Magical Drop, and thought yes, that’s it!
I wanted to make it a bit different though, for lack of a better word “cuter”. The gameplay of Magic Drop is quite fast paced, and I don’t really get the Japanese girl with three eyes. I decided I would have to draw graphics myself, I’ve attempted to sideload assets I found in a project without much luch before. Luckily I found some great tutorials for creating game art in Inkscape and came up with this:
I’m quite impressed with what I’ve got so far, although I’m a bit worried that I may not have time to finish it. January has been a bit manic, and even though I started early (sshh), I’m not sure I’m going to get a chance to do everything I wanted to do. I don’t need to do much more in order to get it to be a playable game rather than a tech-demo, but I had grand ideas for this. Maybe I’ll revisit it later.
So far I have spent around four whole days on it. I found the easiest way to keep motivated and undistracted was to come up with a plan at the beginning of each day of what I was going to get done. Nothing complicated, just a few bullet points, however it worked out pretty well. As I said before the main issue has been a lack of time to actually work on it. Next weekend I’m going to be spending a lot of time in airports, so hopefully I’ll be able to find a few hours then to knuckle down on it.
Ok fine… Here is a video: